Rush Township Municipal Building
Hometown, PA 18252
Minutes of the Monthly Meeting of the Rush Township Board of Supervisors
The monthly meeting of the Rush Township Board of Supervisors was called to order at 6:00 o’clock p.m. by Chairman William J. Sanchez, Jr. Those in attendance were Vice-Chairman Shawn Gilbert; Supervisor Stephen Simchak.; Secretary/Treasurer Terri Conville; Attorney Robert Yurchak; and Officer Duane Frederick. Approximately thirty eight residents and three reporters were also in attendance. The pledge of allegiance was then recited.
Ms. Conville read the following statement: These proceedings are being recorded for the sole purpose of constituting the accuracy of written minutes. Tapes are reused, eliminating recorded records of these proceedings.
Chairman Sanchez stated that any comments about the Chief or Robbie Romanick will not be responded to by this Board because it is a personnel matter.
American Water Services Report
John Tiejaro read the American Water Services report as of January 20, 2009. A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to accept the American Water Services report for the month. Vice Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
O.I.C. Duane Frederick read the police report for the month of December, 2008. A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to accept the police report as read. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. Under the question, Pat Tracey wanted to know where the new Chief of Police was and why he did not read the report. Mr. Tracey questioned if residents have a right to know what happened to Robbie Romanick under the new law. Attorney Yurchak stated it is considered a personnel issue and the Board cannot respond at this point in time, even under the new law. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
Minutes of Previous Meetings
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to approve the minutes of the monthly meeting December 16, 2008, December 30, 2008 Special Meeting, and January 5, 2009 Reorganization Meeting. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. Under the question, Jeaninne Motroni asked the Board if they all agreed to having read the minutes. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
Ms. Conville read the fund balance for each account as of December 31, 2008. A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to approve the treasurer’s report as of December 31, 2008. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. Under the question, Pat Tracey wanted to know the balance of the General Fund. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
Approval of Current Township and Sewer Bills for January, 2009
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to approve all current township and sewer bills for January 2009. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to accept all municipal reports and place them on file for public review. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
Key areas noted by Ms. Conville in the correspondence file for the month were as follows:
1. Letter from Pa. Traffic Safety Network to have a training class at the building.
2. NEPA letter
3. E-Mail from Representative Argall’s office
4. Cerullo, Datte & Wallbillich, Attorneys at Law stating the annual meeting notice for Northeastern Schuylkill Joint Municipal Authority
5. Survey from PSATS
6. Schuylkill Courant Newsletter
7. DEP letter
8. E-Mail from John Matz, Emergency Management Coordinator
9. Letter from the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund
10. Letter from Champ Holman, Chief of Staff for the late Senator Rhoades.
11. Minutes from NESJMA
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to accept all correspondence for the month and place it on file for public review. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. Under the question, Mr. Starry wanted to know if any information was received from Rob Romanick’s Attorney. Township Solicitor, Robert Yurchak stated the letter came to his office and not to the Supervisors. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
Attorney’s Business – No report was given for the month.
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to approve the request for Plan #224- Shafer Final Subdivision with the following waivers: contours, elevations, utilities, topography, streets, wetlands, and a non-building waiver. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
A motion was made for North Central Highway Safety Network to host a training session at the Rush Township Municipal Building on Monday, January 19th retroactive. Supervisor Simchak seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to purchase a monthly air card for the two laptop computers that were installed in the police vehicles. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. Officer Frederick stated the company would give a discount if the account was put in a police officer’s name but not for the township. Supervisor Simchak asked Officer Frederick to check with the Solicitor to see what is legal. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
A motion was made by Vice-Chairman Gilbert to re-appoint Cathey Schimpf to the Zoning Hearing Board for a three year term. Supervisor Simchak seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to advertise for bid the 1991 International Dump Truck that the township has. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried.
General Purpose Public Participation- Chairman Sanchez asked the residents to state their name for the record and noted if things get out of hand, he will adjourn the meeting.
1. Pat Tracey –stated there was nothing wrong with Robbie Romanick and told the Board they should resign.
2. Kenny Hoppes – stated he does not like the way the snow is being plowed.
3. Russell Youlles wanted to know what has been done with the outstanding sewer bills and garbage bills.
4. Marion Lazur – questioned if the Zoning Officer’s report was received for the month of December. Ms. Lazur also noted the December 7, 2008 meeting minutes list the meeting being called to order at 12 o’clock p.m. and should read 12:35 o’clock p.m. A motion was made by Supervisor Simchak to amend the meeting minutes for December 7, 2008 noting the meeting was called to order at 12:35 o’clock p.m. Vice-Chairman Gilbert seconded the motion. All voted in favor of the motion, carried. Ms. Lazur also wanted to know the price per gallon of oil that the township is locked into. Also, Ms. Lazur wanted to know what the Board is going to do to correct the mistakes made on the budget.
5. Joe Shamonsky – stated the money used for the catch basin was a waste. He also wanted to know how much money was wasted on the investigation of the police department last year and many lawyers would be hired for the investigation dealing with Robbie
6. Mr. Tracey – wanted to know why the millage was increased by a mill and a half if there is a surplus. Supervisor Simchak noted the carryover is used to pay the bills starting January 1 through the end of April because the tax money does not come in until April.
7. John Schickram –stated he hopes the Board followed the proper procedure for the dismissal of Robbie according to the personnel manual and the 2nd class township code book. Mr. Schickram also questioned why employees were not given the same raise across the Board. He also questioned the purchase of three new trucks for the road department for the year 2008 and noted the trucks were not that bad. He also stated the garbage fund has a surplus of $60,000.00 and the Board should charge the people for what the contractor charges the township.
8. Ray Motroni – wanted to know if Chairman Sanchez, Jr. submitted a budget to the other Supervisors that did not have a need for a tax increase.
9. Jeaninne Motroni – stated the Board owes the public answers as to what happened to Robbie.
10. Pat Tracey – wanted to know if the Board did a background check on the newly appointed police chief.
11. Jeaninne Motroni – wanted to know if Adam Sinton is on the payroll for Rush Township since he is often back in the police department doing computer work which is information he should not be privileged to.
12. Dan Poncavage – stated he is a residence of Tamaqua and voiced his opinion that he is not in favor of ESP. He feels there is no protection for the reservoirs and the plan opens the door to adult entertainment districts. Mr. Poncavage feels Rush Township has a good ordinance at this time.
13. Cathey Schimpf –noted ESP meets every 2nd Tuesday of the month. Ms. Schimpf also stated it is not true what Mr. Poncavage stated about the adult entertainment areas. Ms. Schimpf noted there is only one place for adult entertainment area and it is not in Rush Township.
14. Marion Lazur – stated she is one-hundred percent behind what Mr.Boncavage said.
15. Bill Boyer – wanted to know if any roads would be fixed if there is a surplus of money. Mr. Boyer also wanted to know what the building next door will be used for.
16. Marion Lazur – wanted to know who decides to make the transfers between funds in the budget and when it is decided.
Chairman Sanchez, Jr. adjourned the meeting at 6:50 o’clock p.m.
Terri Conville, Secretary/Treasurer