Garbage & Recycling
Garbage is collected in Rush Township on a weekly basis on the following schedule:
Monday – Lake Hauto area, Route 54 east of the intersection with Ye Olde Hauto Road, Route 309 north of Basile’s Restaurant , Old Dam Road, Ben Titus Road, Route 54 west of Mintzer’s Hill, Apple Lane Orchard Road, State Route 1015, State Route 1018, and Golf Road. All roads north of Route 54 and west of Route 309 (excluding Hometown), which includes the areas of Park Crest, Grier City, Tamanend, Quakake, and Madison and Douglas streets in Ginther.
Friday – Hometown and Kahler Hill, including Sunset Avenue, Charles Street, Shawn Avenue, Ye Olde Hauto Road, Keller Road, and Route 54 west of the intersection with Ye Olde Hauto Road.
Trash should be placed curbside on the night before pickup. Trash is not to be placed curbside more than 24 hours before pickup.
Residents are limited to five (5) 30-gallon containers or 70 pounds of trash a week and one large item (cut to a reasonable size, if necessary).
Residents are encouraged to use the township collection service in the spring and fall for items such as tree limbs and wood. Also, residents are asked to utilize the recycling program for items such as refrigerators, washers, televisions, and all other electronics.
Garbage is collected by Tamaqua Transfer. The fee for garbage collection is $194 per calendar year (if paid by April 30). A $50 penalty is applied for the first month late and 1.5% (beginning July 2019, replacing the $20 penalty) for every month after until paid. Tamaqua Transfer can be reached at 570-668-4515.
Collection of delinquent municipal user fees will be handled by Portnoff Law Associates, Ltd. http://www.portnoffonline.com/
David Ceci, Recycling Facilities Director
Rush Township offers FREE electronics & metal recycling (i.e., bikes, grills, washers, dryers & stoves) for residents. Drop off at the Township Building Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 p.m. A current Drivers I.D. is needed for proof of Rush Township Residency. There is currently a $25.00 charge for each television and monitor.
If you need assistance unloading your electronics or pick up of your LARGE metal items, please call the township office at 570-668-2938 to make arrangements. Rush Township accepts the following electronics for recycling:
- Computers: desktop, laptops notebooks, servers and tablets (PC’s)
- Monitors, Televisions (CRT’s, LCD’s LED’s, Plasma, Projection & Flat screens) $25.00 each
- Computer Peripherals: Keyboards, Mice, Computer Speakers & all external devices i.e.: CD/DVD/Blu-ray ROM/Burners, Scanners, Wireless Routers/switches/Modems & all external Tape, Optical and Hard Disc Drivers.
- Printers: All Desktop Printers, Inkjet, All in ones and Lasers
- VCR’s, DVD and Blu-ray players
- Stereo equipment (Receivers, Amplifiers, Car Stereos, Boom Boxes, etc.)
- Digital Cameras & Camcorders (video)
- Telephones, Cell Phones/PDA’s, Smart Phones & MP3 Players
- All Electronic Cables (wiring)
- Video Games & Consoles/Controllers
- UPS Systems (Uninterruptible Power Supply) Batter Back Up
- Small Kitchen Appliances (Mixers, Toasters, Blenders….)
- Hair Dryers, Curling Irons (beauty aids/appliances)
- Large Copy Machines/Fax Machines
Rush Township Chipping Policy
Chipping will be done from October 1 thru December 1. Chipping will pick back up on April 1 for the entire month at the discretion of the Road Supervisor. If an act of nature creates the need during down months, chipping will occur. The service is being provided for minimal chipping of branches and limbs. The Township will not spend more than 30 minutes on site for chipping. Larger jobs will require the residents to contact a landscaper. Chipping will not be done in the Lake Hauto development. Other areas will follow burning ordinance #183.
- The Township Road Supervisors has the right to refuse to chip and will determine when chipping will be completed.
- Branches must be brought curb side.
- Branches must not exceed 8 inches in diameter.
- Branches must be removed from tree by homeowner; trunks must not exceed 8 inches in diameter.
- Township will not return to the same address on a weekly basis; only one (1) visit per residence.
- Branches are no longer allowed to be put out for weekly garbage collection.
- Homeowners are not permitted to take chipped wood products.
Rush Township Leaf Collection Policy
Leaf collection will be done from the end of October thru the beginning of December . Leaf collection will pick back up in April for the entire month. Leaves will not be collected in the Lake Hauto development. Other areas will follow burning ordinance #183
- The Township Road Supervisor has the right to determine when pick up will be completed.
- All leaves must be raked curbside.
- Collected leaves are not permitted to be taken by residents.
- Leaves should no longer be bagged for trash collection.
Used Clothing and Shoes Recycling Bins
The white “used clothing and shoes” recycling bins you see throughout Rush Township have been placed for your convenience. They will take all textiles (clothing, shoes, blankets, towels, curtains, stuffed animals, etc.).
All items are kept on the east coast. Worn or damaged items are recycled into thread and other resourceful items.
Source: Earth 911
Source: Colorado State University Department of Agriculture and Colorado counties cooperating
Do your part for a cleaner county!
SKIP (Schuylkill Keep It Pretty) is hosting its annual Fall Cleanup slated for Saturday, September 22 but volunteers are welcome to pickup supplies prior to that and clean when convenient. For more information contact Bob Stablum, Executive Director of SKIP, at 570.628.3758 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SKIP is a cooperative effort between the Schuylkill County Board of Commissioners, the SKIP Board of Directors, the Schuylkill County Office of Solid Waste and Recycling and the people of Schuylkill County.
Source: Schuylkill Conservation District
North Schuylkill Landfill Association
Robert Kalkewicz, Manager
Mahanoy City, PA 17948
JEFFREY MARKOSKY, ESQ.
West Mahanoy Township
North Schuylkill Landfill Association & Transfer Station